Sunday, February 21, 2010

Febuary 21, 2010 Blog Assignment




1.) Dr. Alice Christie's Searching the Web
As a teacher, we should all learn how to use search engines to find different websites to get information from to help teach the class. How many times does a teacher use google to find information? Then, there is the question, "How much information is true?". Also, if the information is decent for children to see. From her site she shows you all the different websites and search engines that are appropriate for all different age groups.
I have learned how she puts different search engines in different categories.I decided to look through some of those websites. One of my favorites was Fact Monster, it was so much fun. It made learning interesting. Did you know that throwing rice at wedding symbolizes of fertility and long life? I love learning different traditions of different cultures as well. Also, the games on this site are pretty fun to play. Go check it out.

2.) Ipods in Instruction
Before reading this, I would have never believed it was possible. I do believe there is a lot of temptation with this new method of teaching. I mean I think it could be useful, but how many teenagers would be distracted? I listen to my Ipod religiously but it is only for my music. However, I could see how this method could be very useful for teaching.
The reason I believe it would be useful would be able to download notes for itunes. Also, if the teacher was using pdcasting, you could download that podcast to your ipod. It makes it easier than recording notes or writing them because the background noise on the recorder is terrible and writing notes is frustrating because you will always miss something the teacher has said. Also, with the ipod method, it would make it open to everyone in class; so if a child missed class, he or she would not have to miss the assignment or notes.

2 comments:

  1. I liked all the different tools she used as well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I completely agree about the iPods being a useful learning tool but I also agree that they could be very distracting. If we were to allow students to listen to podcasts during class how would we really know if they were listening to the assignment or to their music? I hadn't even thought of the distraction factor.

    ReplyDelete