Sunday, February 28, 2010

Febuary 28, 2010 Blog Assignment

1.) Richard Miller: This is how we Dream
I like the fact that he stated how he is a writer and he is leader of a writing program over seas. Also, he has written a book. Then, he is going on to state the different types of technology being used. His own book has been printed on the web and how we can buy the text online instead of going out and buying it. Also, how he did a whole project without stepping into a library. It is amazing how now we can do a full research without the library because of all the online resources.

I when he says we need inspiring teachers. I do believe that. Even though we have technology available, children need teachers who motivate them. Also, we need them because we do not have all the technology needed to do what his dream is yet. He wants the future to be a bright one with all teachers humanities and sciences. Also, I do believe my students in the future will be able to write with the media.

2.) Wendy Drexler
This video reminded me of what we are doing and learning in our EDM 310 class. Also, I can understand why students need a teacher to teach them how to blog and comment properly. Teachers in this field show students what is appropriate for the web. Then, there is the research on the web, what is propaganda and what is the truth. In my case, that is the hardest thing to distinguish between.

Also, I like the fact that he uses most of what we have learned in our EDM class. He states how he uses google docs and scholar. He using it to help build on his PLN which is what we are learning how to do everyday. I like the fact he uses itunes U as a place to download podcasts on his ipod which I have been doing lately. It is a easy way to listen to useful information on the go.

3.) Michael Wesch: The Machine
The part that stood out to me in this video is when he commented on the fact that in the 1980's generation or the MTV generation has a short attention span,materialistic, narcissistic, and not easily impressed. Now that generation says that about our generation. I have that term used over and over again to describe the teenagers in my era. Also, he says how my generation is "generation me". I have to agree with him and his speech on the American Idol. How we are searching for identity and recognition. I do think we have found new ways to find our selves. Even though, we do it in public and on television.
I like how he mentions self awareness when doing videos online. He shows videos of takes people doing their first youtube video. They are nervous and jittery. He states that when we do the videos it runs through our head not only what other people will think about us but how we see ourselves in the future. I know I get nervous on camera too because when looking back, I might look stupid and ridiculous. I would hate that to happen to me. However, I hope that I get over this fear and start posting videos soon.

5 comments:

  1. Dr. Miller is Chairman of the English Department at Rutgers University in New Jersey - not overseas! You believe that your students of the future will be able to write using multimedia. Will you?
    You write: "Then, there is the research on the web, what is propaganda and what is the truth. In my case, that is the hardest thing to distinguish between."

    I would arge that there is no "truth" on the net, or anywhere. Rather aall arguments are affected by the biases (even if not recognized) of their proponents. What we consider truth may be replaced when we know more. For a long time scientists were convinced that the earth was the center of the universe. The church even punished any that disagreed. Now we know differently. The world was once thought to be flay, but Columbus and others were convinced otherwise and proved their point, risking their lives in the process.

    So what is your response to my argument?

    How is the best way to avoid feeling stupid. I would say to admit "I don't know." Then follow that statement immediately with the statement: "Let's find out!"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dr. Strange,
    When you say "What we consider truth maybe replaced when we know more" proves that there is truth. Even if it is only truth until we know more. Everyone is biased yes but there is truth. For instance, you can not change the laws of nature, you can not change the laws of gravity. These are truths therefore there is truth.

    Cara,
    I agree with you distinguishing between propaganda and truth is very difficult. My advice would be to do more research on it. Visit different kinds of sites to see if there is anything that says the opposite of what you read. I also agree with you on inspiring teachers! This world needs teachers who are willing to learn and inspire and motivate others to want to learn!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Heather: You make an interesting argument by saying that new truths replace old truths. Then we have an issue about what truth means. When I used "truth" I was implicitly defining it as unchanging, permanent - a common definition. You acknowledge this in your argument and you define "truth" as the accepted position of the moment. That is a legitimate definition and does rescue "truth" as existing but changing. That is consistent with my position, My father said it this way: "Everything is relative."

    ReplyDelete
  4. How does one determine fact from fiction in this day and age? Pretty much everything reported on these days are facts that have been tainted by the opinions of the writer. Whether the bias is positive or negative, you can't really tell what is the whole truth. Even the websites completely devoted the topic will show mainly the positive but leave out the negative. Then on the opposite side of the spectrum, the site may only mud sling and not give any positive credit to the subject. This is the age of technology and this is how they mistreat it. How sad...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with some of your post. I like how you brought up the fact that you have used ITunes on the go when your in a rush. I think that technological tools like these are very helpful (and once you get the hang of it, pretty easy to use.)

    ReplyDelete