Monday, February 1, 2010

January 31, 2010 Blog Assignment

1.) Media Literacy in the First Grade
Truly amazing to see this happening. First Graders who can not only access the internet but they can comment on blogs and help make podcast. I think that if we would have told people this 20 years ago, they would have never believe us. I was very proud of those students. They are accomplishing goals that many adults can not do. It is hard to believe that they are learning the same things I am learning as a sophomore in college. I honestly wonder what my students are going to be learning when I become a teacher.

2.) Here's What's Coming!
Oh that was eye opening. When you think of a one year old, you would think teething rings and play pins as a fun activity, not playing on an Iphone. All I can think is this child is going to be texting when he is two. If these children of the next generation are starting technology at such a young age. What could this mean for new teachers or experienced ones? This is teaching at a whole new level. Not one that just involves reading, writing, and arithmetic but one that has to includes the web. I know as a young adult and a college student, I depend on the internet. I needed it in high school to an extent but not in middle school or grade school. However, I do believe things are about to change dramatically. I mean first graders blogging. Babies playing on Iphones. I even heard that two year olds are starting to skype. If we do not prepare for the technology now, how would will be able to teach those who know more than

3.) Podcasts...
I was listening to the SmartBoard Lesson episode 1 about dim dim. I thought it was a little odd he decided to do a podcast during a coffee run but I guess that is okay. However, ordering coffee or not, he convinced me to download dim dim. I have skype now but I wanted to see how this new web caming experience goes. I really enjoy my skype, I talked to one of my friends over seas. Hopefully, this new one will be better. I also listened to Kidcast podcast, I listened to the parts of the some thoughts on video podcasting or vodcasting, I agree I do not like that term either. I prefer video podcasting. I also agree with the auto vs video. I think I would prefer auto for the safety level in the classroom. However, using sound and sight, teaching with two senses than just one does do for better teaching. Also, I do find video podcasting more entertaining than auto podcasting. So this question comes to me, the safety of the students or trying to keep the students attention?

4 comments:

  1. I've recently wondered what we will encounter as teachers also. This class is exposing me to so much new technology and is also teaching me the importance of understanding it and being able to incorporate it into my classroom. It would be embarrassing to have students teaching you how to use your Smartboard!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree that technology is moving fast. When listening to the podcast I also found myself irrritated with the podcast about coffee as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I got lost with this class just unknown to all that technology has to offer. Technology is a growing therefore we must work steadily to keep up. I come to you from class E.

    ReplyDelete